Teach English Worldwide

Frequently Asked Questions

Please select your question category

Search FAQs

These acronyms are used interchangeably worldwide and all are accepted by schools.

TEFL: Teaching English as a Foreign Language

TESL: Teaching English as a Second Language

TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

Australia and North America: Typically TESOL is used in the industry.

U.K. and Europe: TEFL is mostly used in the industry.

Non-English speaking Countries: All acronyms are used and accepted. 

Certificates: It is not important what acronym is on your certificate as in all countries schools will look at the length and content of your course and are not concerned by the acronym. 

Yes, absolutely! There are many jobs available, mostly conversational English teaching jobs, that you can apply for with the Introductory TEFL Certificate. We provide job guidance on the course and you can access our job placements and get started applying for jobs!  

This is a great kickstarter course to get a taste of TEFL and build some experience teaching abroad. 

You will need more than our 100 hour course to teach in Australia. We recommend completing a CERT IV in TESOL, the Australian Government accredited course.


If you intend to teach migrants and refugees in a paid position, check with the institution you are interested in first as they will most likely have different qualification requirements than the regular ESL language schools.  



Via Email

You will receive your certificate via email in PDF format for the 
Introductory TEFL, Grammar Awareness and Cambridge TKT course.

Via Post

Cambridge University TKT Exam: If you sit this exam at a Cambridge exam centre, the centre will post your Cambridge certificate to you.



Payment can be made using your Paypal account or credit card. We use paypal as our secure payment method for all transactions made on our website so all credit card details are secure and not displayed. 

Yes, if you download the browser app "iSwifter" which will allow you to view Flash on your iPad. Our courses are displayed using Flash so this app will be necessary.

This will depend on the certificate level you have achieved.  

Introductory TEFL and Cambridge TKT: Non-English speaking countries.

Jobs can be found throughout Asia, Africa, Europe, and South America. Jobs will be mostly conversational English teaching jobs. There are many available and we provide job placements.  

CERT IV in TESOL: Worldwide

You will be eligible to apply for jobs advertised worldwide including English speaking countries such as Australia, Canada, U.K. etc. Visa restrictions may apply. Check visa FAQs for details.


There are plenty of jobs not requiring a university degree. However, some governments do require a University degree in any field for the school to sponsor your visa.

Only a few countries have this requirement but here are some options if you do not have a university degree...

  1. Choose another country to live and teach in.
  2. Get your own working holiday visa for that country if you meet the age requirement and then schools don't need to sponsor your visa so a university degree is not needed.
  3. Enrol in study with a student visa and you can teach around 20 hours a week which is almost full-time (25 hours a week).  

Visa sponsorship by schools for any age over 18. Note: Some governments require a university degree in any field for schools to issue you a visa. If you do not have a degree consider the following additional options.

Working Holiday Visa: for those under 30 years of age. Check the country you wish to go to and their arrangements with your home country. This gives you usually one year of working rights. 

Student visa: Enrol in a language school to study a language and receive 20 hours a week of working rights on your student visa. Note: Full time English teaching is around 25 hours (with preparation time on top of this) so 20 hours is almost a full-time wage. (In France you need to register for a University course to get working rights on a student visa but this option will work for most other countries.

Spousal Visa: If you are married to a citizen of the country you wish to travel to, obtain a spousal visa. Note: For the EU this gives you access to working rights in all EU countries. 

European Union: If you have a passport from the EU you have working rights in all EU countries.

Summer Camps: In Europe make use of our job placements where you don't need an EU passport. Work legally on a tourist visa.

Usually your visa must be organised before you arrive in the country. Take care as most countries (not all) will ask you to leave their country while the visa is processed so as to then re-enter. Check the with school if they are sponsoring your visa. 

In South America it seems to be more relaxed and you can arrive on a tourist visa, find work and then they will convert your visa into a working visa. 

Most WHV are for those under 30 or 31 years of age (Canadians up to 35 yr olds) and can only be obtained once in your life. Check your country’s government arrangement with your country of choice.

Worldwide: Most jobs in non-English speaking countries will come with visa sponsorship.

Western Europe (France, Italy, Spain): is more difficult as schools in these countries will employ U.K. / EU citizens who already have working rights. See our summer camp positions if you do not have EU working rights.

Germany: You can apply for a visa once you find a job at a school (enter on a tourist visa). Get a letter from the school, submit application to the Government and wait about one month for processing. 

English speaking countries: Usually you cannot get sponsorship from a school in these countries (Australia, Canada, the U.S., the U.K. South Africa, N.Z. etc) because they will employ those with working rights already. Check out working holiday or student visas as an option. 

Summer Camp: Apply for one i-TEFL's summer camps in Spain, France or Italy and work legally on a tourist visa. Login and visit the job board for details. 

Germany: You can apply for a work visa once you find a job at a school (enter on a tourist visa). Get a letter from the school, submit application to the Government and wait about one month for processing. 

Student visa: Enrol in a language classes at a language school and receive 20 hours a week of working rights on your student visa. Note: Full time English teaching is around 25 hours a week so 20 hours is close to full time (you have preparation time on top of this).

*In France you need to be studying at University (not a language school) to get working rights on your student visa but this option works well for most other countries in the EU as they allow you to be enrolled in a language school and receive working rights on your student visa. 

Eastern Europe: There is a high chance of schools sponsoring you in Eastern European countries. Even in Western European countries you can try to convince a school to sponsor you although you'd need to commit for one year or longer as it is a huge effort for schools to process the visa with their government. 

We do have staff that monitor emails after business hours on weekdays and weekends if you are working on your courses then and need to contact us.

We cannot guarantee fast responses but we will endeavour to respond where possible. There are times when a response will be sent the next working day.

However, it is always worth sending an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  in case staff are able to respond. 

No faqs match your search criteria